Monday, April 21, 2008

enCounter Culture

On Sunday night, a collection of Stanford’s finest urban dance groups assembled to display their talents in a show entitled enCounter Culture. Although all of the dance troops were described as being “urban dancers” each group showcased it’s own specialty of urban dance. From steppers to break dancers, the dance groups aimed to wow audience with complicated choreography and impressive rhythmic movement of the human body.

Although the show definitely gained energy as it moved forward, I was skeptical as I watched the first act. The opening group, composed of three male break-dancers, was unsynchronized in dancing style, movement, and attitude. Throughout the routine, the dancers had a hard time executing their movements together, which caused an unsettling view for the audience. While each dancer was obviously talented, their own personal dancing styles were so different that the performance often resembled three solo acts rather than a group number. Additionally, their different attitudes on stage created a disjointed piece for the audience. While one dancer danced with goofy facials and comedic timing, the other two danced more seriously. I appreciated their enthusiasm and personal talent, but as a group they left much to be desired.

The low energy after the first performance was quickly boosted by the next group of dancers. As CSAG (Consortium of Small Asian Girls) took the stage, it was apparent by the raging applause they received that they already had a dedicated fan base. CSAG, as their name implies, is a group of petite Asian girls who specialize in modern Hip Hop dance. The instant the music started, the girls impressed with their highly synchronized routine. Each girl was able to isolate her movements while maintaining the uninhibited motion that hip hop dance requires. It was clear they had extensively rehearsed their piece. CSAG kept the energy high by continually changing formations and occasionally showcasing each girl individually for a few 8 counts. A medley of recent radio hip-hop songs seemed to excite the audience, keeping them engaged with the dancers. Their gimmick of being small and Asian was cute, but their talent was definitely their most noticeable attribute.

The subsequent acts were all very impressive and respectable. Alliance, a co-ed group of hip hop dancers entertained with a dance piece that revolved around a mannequin/robot theme. The Stanford Steppers continued with an odd yet entertaining theme of oompa loompas. However, by the end of the night it was clear that one duo had stolen the show. A pair of break-dancers who called themselves Armageddon, combined break-dancing with martial arts to create a spectacular performance. As their piece began, the two dancers walked down the aisles of the auditorium, mimicking a boxer’s entrance into an arena. As soon as they hit the stage my jaw was on the floor. Each dancer ‘s technique was completely amazing and their presence together onstage was electrifying. At one point in the number, one of the dancers popped up and down on one hand (yes, I said just ONE hand) for a good 15 seconds. The addition of the martial arts elements gave the duo a fresh twist on traditional break-dancing. As they hit their final pose the crowd went nuts, and I even allowed my reserved self to let out a little “woo!” of amusement.

Overall I think the show did a great job of entertaining an audience who was hungry for some good urban dance. The entire show was cohesive but each group brought their own flare to the stage. Although there was some disparity in the level at which each group performed, I don’t think that it detracted from my overall appreciation of the show. I think enCounter Culture did an amazing job of sharing urban dance with the Stanford community, and succeeded in sparking a larger interest in dancing. I know I left the auditorium thinking, “I need to start dancing more!” Whether me dancing more is a good thing or bad thing is yet to be determined.



No comments: